Lucky to have a dad to talk to

I've been thinking about my dad a lot lately. For various reasons. My brother-in-law Tom Brown just lost his dad and had written a very moving eulogy. And this from a guy who used to complain about his dad. It's sort of cliche now; you know, when the father is aging and the son anticipates his dad's death, there's the thought that it's going to be too late to bond. So, the son worries himself sick about this, but being the son of a man that can't communicate emotions, he won't talk to dad about these feelings. See how that works? I guess there's no hope for me and dad. Really though, I'm very thankful to have a dad that, at age 70, is still healthy. (My mom, soon to be 74, is very healthy.) Most guys would envy the relationship I enjoy with my dad. We see each other quite frequently. We sit at Steak N Shake two or three times a month mulling over the world and its problems. Our topics are exclusively Politics, Religion and Religion in Politics. With US history strewn throughout. His biggest gripe with me is that I'm a Conservative. He figures I hit my head or something when I was young. To him, a conservative worldview is not just the other side, it's out of this realm of reality. His hero is Harry Truman, mine is Dwight Eisenhower. But anyway, I'm very happy to have this time together with him. Annette always asks me, "What'd you talk about?" What she means is "did you talk about your feelings?" So I always answer, "Nothing."

Popular posts from this blog

A warm spring night

You see, it's like this...

I don't want to jinx it but...