Another normal (whirlwind) weekend

Friday night is Bible study at church. But, most of the new sound system came in and it has to be up and running by tomorrow night in fellowship hall. We didn't get the speakers. Think we'll need them? The pastor says, "I know where we can get some." I don't ask, but I know they just bought some over at the other church he serves. Saturday morning we've got speakers. I spend all day at church setting up the hall with the new system, learning to work it etc. About noon Lee (the pastor) says, "So, you ready to do those labels?" I forgot, we're mailing five-thousand glossy postcards for Lent and I volunteered to do the addresses and labels. He stays up half the night formatting the postcard and I bring the label file home and ask Annette to do it for me. Saturday night was the big coffee house. It went OK. Lots of small technical problems that Annette says nobody but me noticed. I hope so. We did the Beatle sing-a-long at the end and everybody had a great time getting up in front of the microphones to sing. I had fun showing off with my electric guitar. I'd been practicing my Beatle licks for a month now. My old pal Dave came in from Nashville to buy his niece a guitar, and he sang a couple of songs. Then, about 20 of us all went out to eat afterwards. The youth took over fellowship hall for their own coffee house after we left. From the looks of it they had about 60 or 70 people. It looked like a lot of fun. When we came back from eating at about 11:00 pm. I came in the side door to peer onto the stage, and there was my daughter, playing my Gibson Dove and performing with Lee's daughter Maria. I couldn't take my eyes off of her. I cried. I know it sounds silly, but this is a guitar that I know she will own some day. And, you know what day that will be. She will play it and remember her dear old dad. The guy who she thought wrote Twist and Shout until she was about eight years old. She told me today that "some guy", one of the kids' dad, said to her, "Where did you get that guitar?" I think it's sinking in that it's not just any guitar. So, then I have to re-assemble the sanctuary's sound system that I tore apart to use all the cables. I got done about 12:30 am. Then I remember, I'm singing in church in the morning. Singing as in a solo and a guitar solo. Get up early Sunday morning to prepare for church. The music went good. Led a good Sunday School, though it got a little edgy when I dipped into some social issues. Ooh, can't do that! People are so sensitive! So what if we disagree... is it gonna kill you?! Anyway, went home, took a little nap. Got up, went back to church for the labeling party. A handful of the steadfast were there to print, cut and label 5,000 postcards. It's an honor to work with these people. OK, have I impressed you? Good, I'm going to bed!

Popular posts from this blog

A warm spring night

You see, it's like this...

I don't want to jinx it but...