I don't have the nerve

I don't think I have the nerve to write well. I got out my Rust Never Sleeps songbook and went through it. I sang Pocahontas and Powderfinger, the two really good ones from that album. Here's the fourth verse of Pocahontas: I wish I was a trapper I would give a thousand pelts To sleep with Pocahontas And find out how she felt In the morning on the fields of green In the homeland we've never seen C'mon! If I wrote that...I couldn't write that. Yet, it's a great song. And so is Powderfinger. It's so vivid: Daddy's rifle in my hand felt reassurin' He told me, "Red means run, son, and numbers add up to nothin' " Then the last verse starts: Shelter me from the powder and the finger Cover me with the thought that pulled the trigger That is great stuff. I'm just going to keep on pluggin' away here and see what happens. Here's a verse and a chorus of a song I wrote a lifetime ago: Evening turns over Early in October I'm alone again How long has it been? A couple of years, a couple of tears The autumn always seems to be A time of remembrance to me 'Cause the moon goes around the earth And the earth, it circles the sun We come around and do it all over again Somehow, it just doesn't seem the same this time around To me

Popular posts from this blog

A warm spring night

You see, it's like this...

I don't want to jinx it but...