What do I do?

You know, when people ask me what I do for a living, I say "nothing much." Even I admit that it's more exciting to talk about my former career that my present one. My former career was in the restaurant business. I was a cook for ten years at little pub and then after my daughter was born and my wife informed me that I ought to get a real job, I worked my way up to Chef at a couple of the big catering companies here in St. Louis. So, ten years as a cook and ten years as a Chef. The last year of this life (1999) found us praying for a job change. A real job change. Then one day the owner of the place I was working called me in on my day off to "talk." Very strange. Picture this now. I worked in a refurbished old church building that they had turned into a restaurant. So we're sitting in the "dining room" which was the sanctuary. There's a giant stained glass window in front of Jesus praying in the Garden. I can't tell you how many times that window gave me strength to carry on through some very tough times. Remember, Jesus is praying to have this burden lifted from him. Then says, "but Your will, not mine," and carries on. So the owner and I are sitting there and he tells me my services are no longer needed. But he does it in such a respectful way that we end up talking about all kinds of things. He knew I wasn't happy and he also knew that I wouldn't do anything about it. So instead of firing me he "laid me off." That gave me eight weeks of unemployment income. He said, "Rich, I know you want to run out of here and get another restaurant job." He was right. I was already thinking about an offer I had. "But don't do it," he continued, "you've got to give yourself a chance to do something else." He then told me to go home and read Matthew 6:28. So I looked at him, looked at Jesus, got up and went home. Here's the Bible verse: (from the Rich Hudson translation) Look at these lilies growing. They don't labor or worry. But even the great King Solomon in all his splendor was not dressed like one of these. If that is how God clothes the grass of the field, which is here today and tomorrow is thrown in the fire, will he not much more clothe you, you dufus? When I got home and told Annette we were both very happy. Our prayers had been answered.

Popular posts from this blog

A warm spring night

You see, it's like this...

I don't want to jinx it but...