You see, it's like this...

My sister asked me after a recent blog entry, "What's up with you Christians and Evolution anyway? What, God can't do Evolution if he wants to?" (I paraphrased) I don't know. I have talked to all kinds of Christians about this and there are many, many different viewpoints. I'd have to say that most folks that I know are not "bothered" by evolution. That means they don't think about it much or it doesn't collide with their faith or something along those lines. However, I do tend to hang with a few fundamentalists here and there and run across my fair share of Darwin as the Devil stuff. As I stated in an earlier blog entry, I think that I've been prepared to talk to people about this subject. So many times I don't actually offer an opinion of my own. During a discussion one night, a friend was becoming agitated at my line of reasoning and Annette jumped in to say, "He's just playing devil's advocate." The friend responded, "I know, I'd like to just once know what he really thinks." Another time a friend cornered me and said, "Just what do you believe?" Don't misunderstand; I did answer these questions. It's just that I think God wants me to help anybody that has this particular barrier between Him and them. This help could come in different ways. This much I know: The world was created by God. He wants us to live in bliss. We can chose to do this but we most often don't. It seems that though He has tried throughout history to talk to us, few have chosen to listen. He finally came to us as one of us show us that if we will have faith in Him, we will enjoy Eternal Life as it was originally planned. Many people see Christianity as a train headed for heaven and Jesus comes along and starts kicking people off. You don't believe, you're off! But, it's the other way around. We're on a train that's headed down and Jesus is handing out free tickets to get off. Most folks that have a problem with Evolution do so because of the words in the Creation story told in Genesis. There's really no good reason to think that a "day" isn't really a day. Or is there? Galileo said, "If I find my Science contradicts the Scriptures, then I must have interpreted the Scriptures wrongly." (again, I paraphrase.) In other words, with a firm faith, you may go forth to explore any part of the Creation that you wish without fear. If there are "apparent" contradictions, is it so hard to believe that you (we) may not have all the answers? A thousand years ago, most people had a conception of the universe that bears little resemblance to what we know now. A thousand years hence? Tell me that we won't look back at Darwinian Evolution as a quaint little theory that has it's place in the text books as something we used to believe.

Popular posts from this blog

A warm spring night

I don't want to jinx it but...