Good Friday was good

Last night (Thurs) we did our usual Seder Meal at church. This is when we re-enact the Last Supper of Jesus. It's pretty informative, but the highlight for me was that I invited a young woman from work to come and she accepted. She has two young kids and is separated from her husband. I'm not sure what she thought of it but at the end she asked to borrow a Bible. That's gotta be good. Annette sat at the table next to us which was full of our neighbors. That was great to see too. So tonight we had our Good Friday service over at Christy Memorial Methodist. (This is the church we share our pastor with and it's located in "Little Bosnia"; known as Bevo to south-siders. They're starting a Bosnian ministry over there and I know they're excited to be in the early stages of this mission.) The sanctuary was beautiful; lit by candles that were dampened as the service progressed. We heard scripture readings from the different Gospels portraying the last hours of Jesus' life. One that always sticks with me is from John: (from the Rich Hudson translation) Jesus says, "...But my kingdom is from another place." "Aha!, so you are a king!" says Pilate. Jesus answers, "Well, yes, you could say that. In fact, this is the reason I was born, and for this I came into the world, to testify to the truth. Everyone on the side of truth listens to me." "Ah, what is truth?" Pilate asks as he turns and walks away. In popular lingo Pilate is just saying, "yeah, whatever." He's had his fair share of deep philosophical discussions. He's wrestled with the concept of truth before. Like many of us, he reasons that there is no such thing as objective truth. What's true for you is true for you, what's true for me is true for me. Jesus is announcing that He is the truth. It sounded crazy then and it sounds crazy now.

Popular posts from this blog

A warm spring night

You see, it's like this...

I don't want to jinx it but...