Life continued...

I've re-written last night's entry. Though it looks the same at a glance, it's not. Hopefully it will be easier to follow this time, so if you've already read it, consider reading it again. Anyway, the whole point of it was that in 1989 this was a real eye-opener for me. After reading Joseph Campbell's Masks of God series I was convinced there was a mythic side of existence. When I got to the part about "my religion", for the first time I put some value in it. My religion is as good as the next guy's, right? That got me started reading Christian philosophy and theology. That's a subject for another time. I was reading some athiest's blogs tonight and there was a discussion going on about the good parts of the Bible and the bad parts of the Bible. One guy said, "yeah, Jesus said some pretty cool things." I was struck with the question, how does someone determine the good parts from the bad? At first glance it seems to be just what an individual feels. One person may say that Jesus' "eye for an eye" is good and fair and someone else may think that it's wrong. Who's right? Can they both be right? For the record: The Bible is speaking out against violent retribution with those words. There was a tendancy in some cultures to go overboard and seek over-sized revenge. For example, if someone stole something from you, you would go kill him. Here the suggestion is that a more tempered reaction might be in order. Like getting something of equal value back from the thief. C. S. Lewis wrote, "A man does not call a line crooked unless he has some idea of a straight line." Where did our idea of a straight line come from? Our parents? Grand-parents? Where did the first straight line come from?

Popular posts from this blog

A warm spring night

You see, it's like this...

I don't want to jinx it but...