A rather round young girl

This girl that I'm teaching guitar is going to have some problems. She's only sixteen years old yet she is quite over-weight. The problem is that she doesn't have a lap to sit the guitar in. I've tried using a strap at various lengths, standing and then sitting on different types of chairs. I can see the frustration in her face coming from the fact that she can't see her hands either on the fretboard or as they strike the strings. Two things dawned on me that might help her. One, a more folk-style guitar. Her dad went out and bought a guitar for her, which of course is great, but the one he picked is too big. Rather, the body of the guitar is too big and the neck is too narrow. A traditional folk guitar has both a smaller body and a wider neck. I'm going to visit the Guitar Center to talk to them about a possible trade. The other thing I thought of is what would I do if she was blind? Could I teach a blind person to play guitar? I think I could. It would be different of course, more reliant on her sense of touch than sight. But, you would concentrate more on hearing probably too. I noticed also that being open and honest with her about her "shape" seemed to be a positive strategy. It would be easy to give up on her, she probably has no appreciative music skills, but who knows? Maybe strumming a few chords in front of some friends is just what the doctor ordered.

Popular posts from this blog

A warm spring night

You see, it's like this...

I don't want to jinx it but...