Party Convergence

Tonight we went to the Fox Theatre to watch and hear Emily participate in a special production put on by the Fox Associates. This one was the second annual. The schools get together with a couple of big corporate sponsors and put on a big show which includes all the music programs from all the city schools. It was really, really good. Just the challenge of getting all these different groups on and off the different stages seemed awesome. And let me tell you, anyone who thinks you can't bring religion into the public schools hasn't been to many musical presentations. I've been to lots of them and many times, tonight included, there are sacred pieces presented and no one from the ACLU jumped out of hallways to stop it. Many times at these events I choke back tears. Why? I'm not sure. I know that it reminds me of some very pleasant memories of childhood. From seventh grade on through high-school I performed in school bands. I loved every minute of it. One of the bands tonight play "Theme from Shaft." In my day, everyone played that song and when I heard it tonight, well...it was great. While reflecting on all of this tonight, I was reminded of a story. A couple of years ago, we were at a party somewhere, I think for my sister's birthday. I got to talking to a guy and we soon realized there was some kind of strange convergence happening here. He was a high-school music director but had always wanted to be a Chef. I was a Chef who had always wanted to be a school music director. And, both his wife and mine owned their own secretarial service doing mostly medical transcription. Weird. But as we talked more, he started telling me about the horrors of being a music director. The parents, the school board, the politics etc. He had learned to hate it and was taking an early retirement. What he'd wished he'd done was become a Chef! Ah, there's a job he could enjoy. Oh yeah? "Let me tell you about being a Chef," I said. The long hours, the losers you work with all the time, the owners, the petty politics etc. He said to me finally, "Yeah, but it is exciting, I'll bet." I answered, "Yes it is." I said to him, "But you know you've changed and enriched young people's lives." He said, "Yeah, I did."

Popular posts from this blog

A warm spring night

You see, it's like this...

More on the Beatles