An evening with Ruth

Ruth died late last week. She was in her late 80's and not doing too well as of late. After a recent scan that showed cancer in her liver and lungs, she decided not to fight anymore. One of her last wishes was not to have a funeral or service of any kind. So, the Pastor and a couple of her friends decided that an informal carry-in dinner at the church would be OK. We hoped that she would indulge us just a little. Carolyn told the story of living next door to Ruth her entire life! Both of them grew up on Bellerive Blvd. in houses that they both would eventually live in as adults. Carolyn was the Kindergarten teacher for Ruth's daughter. There were many more stories like that from many of the older folks; stories from 40, 50 and 60 years ago. How can I express this? I find myself bragging about living on the same street that I've grown up on, or attending the same church that I was baptized in. Big freakin' deal! Who cares? Everyone at that church has got me beat 10 times over. Ruth was humble, quiet and giving. She never spoke a cross word about anybody else. How about that? Will people say that about me at a service that I won't ask for? I'm ashamed to even be writing this; thinking of myself. I ashamed I didn't go to see her before she died. I am a fool; always thinking of myself. Goodbye, Ruth. I will always miss you on Sunday mornings. You have shown me dignity that I can barley comprehend. I will try to live a better life for having known you.

Popular posts from this blog

A warm spring night

One Cool Cat Checks Out

I don't want to jinx it but...