Christmas Songs

Jennifer was telling a story how her daughter's boyfriend had his guitar out at the house one evening when she asked him to play a Christmas song. I think her quote was something like, "he looked at me like I had worms coming out of my ears." I don't know whether that meant he didn't know any or he wouldn't play any. I don't know which is worse anyhow. I've lectured on this before, but it really burns me up, so now you're going to have to listen to it again: The guitar is meant to be played as an accompaniment to the melody. Now, this is not say that a guitarist can't take a solo during a song; that's fine for 8 or 16 measures. But a young guitarist should not start with the solo mindset; he or she should graduate into that. In the meantime he should learn some songs! Is that so much to ask? "But wait, but wait; I can't sing," he'll say. Get over it! Everybody can sing in their range. And for God's sake; at Christmas?! C'mon, Silent Night, Away in the Manger, something! If you need a challenge, learn The Christmas Song. That song, by the way, has a terrific short guitar solo in it. OK, I feel better. You know what's strange? The last time I ranted about this was right after Annette and I went to see School of Rock with Jack Black. Emily just bought the DVD and we watched it the other night and here I am talking about it again. Supernatural? Perhaps. Baloney? Perhaps not. Here's your Christmas verse for the evening: Sire, the night grows darker now And the wind blows stronger Fails my heart I know not how I can go no longer Mark my footsteps good my Page Tread thou in them boldly Thou shalt find the winter's rage freeze thy blood less coldly

Popular posts from this blog

A warm spring night

You see, it's like this...

More on the Beatles