Pistol Pete Reiser (updated)

While roaming through the Baseball Reference site (I added a permanent link to it on the Trivia Night Blog) I remembered a story my dad told me about Pete Reiser. Turns out, he's the 2nd cousin of Leo Reiser, who attends our church. Leo's upwards of 85 years old now and was quite the musician in his day. He still composes (piano) and plays during Communion once a month. He's also a regular at our Coffee Houses. He loves Rogers & Hart/Hammerstein as much as I do and we've more than a few times blessed the crowd with his not-so-exact fingerings and my not-so-Howard-Keel-like voice. Each time he performs, I think to myself, "Boy, I hope I'm still doing that when I'm 85." Whenever my dad and Leo see each other, Leo says to him, "'morning Son," to which my dad replies, "'evening Star." I guess it's some kind of secret code they made up when they were both in Choir years ago. But, back to Pete Reiser. Poor Pete is the reason baseball players now wear helmets and the reason there is now a "warning track" around the outfield. Leo told me that Pete played every game "like it was his last." If you're a baseball fan, take the time to read these links that I've provided here. This guy truly was the original Pistol Pete!

Popular posts from this blog

A warm spring night

You see, it's like this...

I don't want to jinx it but...