Miss Sunshine

I wanted to write something for Annette for her birthday, which was yesterday. We are both very fortunate in that neither of us gets hung up on having much attention paid on our birthdays. Having said that, I'd like to share some stuff I wrote about her many a year ago. This first one is called "Miss Sunshine." When I met her, she lived in an apartment with an elderly woman upstairs. Mrs. Mellinger was her name, and she was an authentic ragtime piano player. Mrs. Mellinger's pet name for Annette was Miss Sunshine. This song paints a picture of two elderly people meeting across the fence in the yard. A while after I wrote it, Annette put some very nice chords and melody to it. Hey, hey Miss Sunshine How are your cats today? Hope you'all are feelin' fine Hope everything's goin' your way You say you've got just one cat now That's a sad thing to hear Tell me if you could, tell me how And what else has happened this year? You say you held him as he died You kissed him and gave him away The rest of the day you cried and cried Now listen to what I'm gonna say You're the bravest You're the brightest You're the prettiest woman on the block You're my favorite Hear me beg for it I think I got a key to fit that lock The next one is the last verse of a song I wrote before we were married, but it pretty much summed up our meeting. I met a lady just as fine as she could be Proud as a lion, she roared that she was in love with me I had no choice but to heed her will I followed her around all the way until We had to stop and make a deal That she would be nice if I would be real And before too long we both began to feel That the love we had found was damned close to ideal OK, so now you know why I kept my day job. One last thought to any of you who think I smart, cool, whatever. I'm nothing without her. I am a bum that you never heard of. Happy birthday Annette from your very own Frankie.

Popular posts from this blog

A warm spring night

You see, it's like this...

More on the Beatles