Wally was right

I guess I shouldn't've been surprised. I'd never owned a home before. He's lived across the street from me for all of the 20 years we were on Dover Place. I'd seen him out there plenty of times mowing, watering, edging, painting, scraping, sweating. He began teasing me: "Yeah," he'd begin, "I'll drive by and there you'll be in the front tugging on the mower or taking apart an edger. Richard, the homemaker, that'll be you." "That ain't me," I cried, "It ain't me." Well, come on by some evening, and you'll likely find me in front or back. Edging, mowing, spraying, pulling...sweating. Yes, I've already taken the edger apart and I think I fixed it. Tonight, the condenser pan of AC suddenly stopped draining, so I fixed that too. Wally was right. He was right about another thing too. Camelot has passed. I've gone from eagerly looking out the window to see if anyone was out to hoping there's no one out so I can get my edging done.

Popular posts from this blog

A warm spring night

You see, it's like this...

More on the Beatles