23 years ago today

23 years ago, on a day just like today, in the hot, muggy St. Louis weather, we were married. And since Annette was 22 years old on that day, she has officially been married longer than she's not been married. Strictly by calendar years, my turn comes next year. I bought an iPod Nano for an Anniversary gift. Since we've been working out every day now, we thought we could use one. By the way, this photo is not from the year we were married, but about 1989 or so while we were in Pensacola. Upon gazing at the photo, Emily made the comment "I don't know those people." Today, everybody headed out to Cousin Amy's house to welcome home her son Eric. He's been in Iraq and will have to return there soon. Eric is in an Air Force Special Unit, but don't ask me what he does. As close as I can tell he "goes and gets people and brings them back." As I sat and watched him rough-house with his small cousins, I couldn't help but think of a blog post I'd written two years ago. Soldiers put their lives on the line daily. They do this with the unspoken hope that the little ones we see at play today won't have to. Yet, it is not up to them whether this happens or not. But they go. They go anyway.

Popular posts from this blog

A warm spring night

You see, it's like this...

More on the Beatles