MUSINGS AND RAMBLINGS FROM THE SOUTH SIDE OF ST LOUIS
Get link
Facebook
X
Pinterest
Email
Other Apps
George Harrison with his Ivory Stratocaster at the Concert for Bangladesh in 1972. Other Beatle Strats of note can be heard in Day Tripper and Nowhere Man.(Just playing around with some photo-posting software tonight.)
Make no mistake, folks who want to see the Ten Commandments taken out of every civil building in the country are not non-religious ; they are anti-religious . And, there's a big difference between the two. Non-religious people do not believe in God. God doesn't exist, He/She/It didn't create the world, nor do they, or have they, ever interceded in history. Obviously not, if they don't exist. But, if people really believe this, then they can be said to have a belief system. We call these belief systems Religion. So, really, they are religious, just not in the way that I am. That's great. Then there are the anti-religious people. These are folks who think that religion is bad and should be destroyed; wiped away from history once and for all. These people, I believe, are, in fact, very religious. We might call them fundamentalist. They believe so strongly in their system that all other systems need to be done away with. Like a Crusade or a Jihad you might say. Well I...
I've started another Blog. This one is completely dedicated to Trivia. I love playing trivia almost as much as I hate bad trivia. So, in an effort to rid the world of stinky trivia, I'm devoting myself to preaching and teaching the difference between good and bad. I've toyed with the idea of writing some software to help me expedite matters if I were to offer my services as Trivia Master for hire, and I've begun work on that. This new blog will be a place for all things Trivia. I'll be asking questions for fun, I'll be looking for questions from readers, both for fun and possible additions to my software. If you haven't noticed, I've dropped away from writing here at this blog. Never fear, I will continue here, but it'll likely be in the online journal mode more often than not. If something strikes in the area of politics etc., you can be sure I'll comment. But, I like to read the news each night, and that usually takes me about an hour, and afte...
I remember watching the Tomorrow Show with Tom Snyder when I was young. I was still at home, so I'm thinking this was around 1975. I don't remember the guest on this occassion but he was a pop/rock recording artist of some kind. (It might have been Harry Nilsson - if anybody remembers, let me know .) Tom asked this guy what he thought of the Beatles and he responded, "I hate them." He went on say something to the effect of "they ruined pop/rock music." At the time I'm thinking the guy is just crazy or jealous or both. Later in my life though, I developed a theory concerning pop music that sounds a lot like the guy's rant. It goes something like this: Before the Beatles, pop stars were people who looked good and sounded good. One of the reasons they sounded so good was that the songs they chose (or that were chosen for them) were good songs. By that I mean they were constructed well. For my generation these are songs of Goffin and King, Boyce and Hart...