Make no mistake, folks who want to see the Ten Commandments taken out of every civil building in the country are not non-religious ; they are anti-religious . And, there's a big difference between the two. Non-religious people do not believe in God. God doesn't exist, He/She/It didn't create the world, nor do they, or have they, ever interceded in history. Obviously not, if they don't exist. But, if people really believe this, then they can be said to have a belief system. We call these belief systems Religion. So, really, they are religious, just not in the way that I am. That's great. Then there are the anti-religious people. These are folks who think that religion is bad and should be destroyed; wiped away from history once and for all. These people, I believe, are, in fact, very religious. We might call them fundamentalist. They believe so strongly in their system that all other systems need to be done away with. Like a Crusade or a Jihad you might say. Well I...
I've started another Blog. This one is completely dedicated to Trivia. I love playing trivia almost as much as I hate bad trivia. So, in an effort to rid the world of stinky trivia, I'm devoting myself to preaching and teaching the difference between good and bad. I've toyed with the idea of writing some software to help me expedite matters if I were to offer my services as Trivia Master for hire, and I've begun work on that. This new blog will be a place for all things Trivia. I'll be asking questions for fun, I'll be looking for questions from readers, both for fun and possible additions to my software. If you haven't noticed, I've dropped away from writing here at this blog. Never fear, I will continue here, but it'll likely be in the online journal mode more often than not. If something strikes in the area of politics etc., you can be sure I'll comment. But, I like to read the news each night, and that usually takes me about an hour, and afte...
While roaming through the Baseball Reference site (I added a permanent link to it on the Trivia Night Blog ) I remembered a story my dad told me about Pete Reiser. Turns out, he's the 2nd cousin of Leo Reiser, who attends our church. Leo's upwards of 85 years old now and was quite the musician in his day. He still composes (piano) and plays during Communion once a month. He's also a regular at our Coffee Houses. He loves Rogers & Hart/Hammerstein as much as I do and we've more than a few times blessed the crowd with his not-so-exact fingerings and my not-so-Howard-Keel-like voice. Each time he performs, I think to myself, "Boy, I hope I'm still doing that when I'm 85." Whenever my dad and Leo see each other, Leo says to him, "'morning Son," to which my dad replies, "'evening Star." I guess it's some kind of secret code they made up when they were both in Choir years ago. But, back to Pete Reiser. Poor Pete is the ...